"CHASING THE WHY" IS NOW ALSO A RADIO SHOW!

Check out the Chasing The Why therapy talk radio show on KOSS 1380am, Los Angeles, every Monday at 11am (pst).

CALL IN AT: 661-266-4420

Stream us live online! (Click on the "Radiotime" link to the left.)

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Headfromassectomy.... Could It Be???

Could it be possible? Has California finally had its head removed from its ass and is now going to respect the civil rights of ALL people? Today, a San Francisco Federal Judge agreed with Judge Vaughn Walker's decision last week and refused to let the prejudices of a group of people become a legalized prejudice. The ban on same-sex marriage in the state of California has been overturned by this Federal Judge and experts are saying that this issue will most likely end up at the Supreme Court. Congratulations to all those that fought (and are still fighting) tirelessly to keep people's civil rights in tact, and kudos to both of these judges! EQUALITY IS NOT UP FOR POPULAR VOTE. You can't strip away people's basic civil rights just because a lot of other people agree with you. If you could then women would still not be allowed to vote and black people would still be segregated. Heck, up until the 1980's "popular vote" was still against interracial marriage. I love this post in the comments section of a CNN article this morning:
"Dear heterosexual married couples; I apologize the way my relationship of the past 12 years has caused so many of you to cheat, lie, beat and divorce one another. I'm sorry that my relationship has resulted in marriage related game shows and TV Shows like "Who wants to marry a millionaire?", "Who wants to marry my dad?", "The Bachelorette" and "The Bachelor". I'm so so sorry for causing the infinite number of 24 hour Vegas weddings and grooms dressed as elvis. I'm sorry for the many thousands of "traditional" marriages that will implode on August 18th. I'm also sorry that so many of your children will spontaneously turn gay as I marry my partner of 12 years on August 18th."
This person makes an excellent point, which leads to my "Why?" question of the day:
  • Why do people think that homosexual marriage will negatively affect heterosexual marriage?
Someone please enlighten me. 2 men in Vermont getting married in no way impacts your heterosexual marriage in New Mexico. NOTHING changes for you. Your taxes don't go up (or down); you're not forced to get a divorce; your kids are not instantly "turned gay"; and the fabric of society does not rip apart and crumble into fine dust. It's already been tested... gay marriage is legal in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Vermont, and Iowa . The world hasn't fallen apart yet. Maybe I just missed it??

9 comments:

  1. OK... I'll take a crack at this. The following is not my opinion or ideas. It is about as far away from my opinions as you can get. I will try to summarize the arguments I have encountered from the anti-equality (pro-hate? pro-stupidity?) camp.

    1. Marriage has always been one man and one woman. Look in the dictionary. Words NEVER change meaning. EVER. Are you cool with that?

    2. Being gay is yuckie. It even says so in the bible. And what God says should be the law of this land.

    3. Gay marriage leads to gay parents and kids will be screwed up by seeing two people of the same gender express love for each other.

    4. If the homos next door are married by the state, it tells kids that being gay is state sanctioned. Hell it almost tells kids being gay is REQUIRED by the state.

    5. If gays are married, it will require my business to provide equal benefits for to homo families and that violates my first amendment right to freedom of religion. Especially since my religion requires me to hate homos.

    6. Once gay marriage is legal, my church will be required to preform gay weddings or face legal action. Another violation of my first amendment rights.

    Is that enough for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LoL!! Love it!!

    Thank you for the insight, oh wise Eugene. I feel so much more educated now. How silly of me to completely ignore the "yuckie" side of this issue. Yuckie trumps all. I'll just call the Supreme Court and let them know that same sex marriage is yuckie (just in case they're not aware). That should stop this from going any further and wasting even more of my hard earned tax payin' american dollars.

    (although I am a little disappointed that you forgot to address the terrorist aspect of this. If you support the gays then you're obviously not american because america was founded only on good 'ole fashioned heterosexual christian values. So if you're for the gays you're against america... ergo... you are a terrorist. I may have to call homeland security on you, Eugene. I bet you don't even display the flag proudly on the front porch of your trailer, now do you? Thought not. Ya' damn terrorist.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crackin' back to Eugezilla:

    1) Actually, the word "marry" and "marriage" simply means for two to join in a lawful, contractual relationship, since about the 14th century. Doesn't specifically reference opposite sex. In fact, definition #2 of the Merriam-Webster dictionary references same-sex relationships, although I imagine that was added sometime after the 1500's.

    2) Hatred and bigotry is more yuckie. Says that in the bible too. (I mean, unless god didn't like it. Then hatred/bigotry = A-OK!)

    3) Hmmm, more screwed up than the 50+% current divorce rate that messes kids up pretty bad already?

    4) Does this mean that being bad at balancing the books will also be forced upon our young people? Oh noes! Besides, just because gay marriage is legal doesn't mean sodomy is. Many states still have laws against that. See that there bright side there!

    5) Religion requires no one to hate. See #2.
    The law also requires you to provide benefits to women, various ethnicities...the wheel keeps a' turnin'.

    6) Only the Christian churches. The Jews and Muslims will be exempt. This whole thing is only being done to piss off the Christians. Convert and be saved!

    And, Basil, you misused the word "American." In this context and referring to those against gay marriage, it's pronounced "'merkin," as in:
    "That ther gay stuff is just not 'merkin."
    Intriguingly, merkin has a whole other meaning referencing an unnecessary cover-up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4. I hate to disagree with your well reasoned response, but sodomy is legal (and AWESOME!) in all 50 states thanks to the 2003 Supreme Court decision of Lawrence v Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, who won that? Lawrence or Texas?

    Aaaaaand I take it you've enjoyed sodomy in ALL 50 states. Hence the awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No. Just two. But I can extrapolate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Which stands for "Too Many Incidents", Basil?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll let you know when it is too many...

    ReplyDelete